Jesus Alfredo Guzman Salazar, the 29-year-old son of infamous drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, was kidnapped on Monday from a restaurant in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Mexican prosecutors told The Guardian that possibly six men were taken, though police previously had the number at 12. Jalisco attorney general, Eduardo Almaguer, publicly confirmed that Guzman was one of the hostages. He also said the perpetrators belonged to Cártel de Jalisco Nueva Generación (CJNG).
These newcomers used to do work for El Chapo’s Sinoloa Cartel, but they’ve since turned against their old employer. In March, The Daily Beast writer Jeremy Kryt noted they often clashed with law enforcement, committing successful “guerilla-like assaults” against police and even the army.
Watching purported surveillance footage of the kidnapping here:
No violence was reported during Monday’s kidnapping. Armed men swarmed into the restaurant, and took everyone without firing a shot.
El Chapo is currently locked up after being recaptured by Mexican authorities in January. He is currently faces extradition to the United States after some contentious legal wrangling. It has been suggested, though not confirmed, that Alfredo Guzman joined the family business.
Follow Alberto Luperon on Twitter (@Alberto Luperon)